Skip to main content

No More Darkness in the Attic: Claiming Victory Over Your Fears


"You can do it," he said, as he unfolded the ladder from the attic. "It's just an attic. And I'm right here." 


Immediately, my heart palpitated. My pulse quickened. Sweat began beading on my forehead, and I had yet to step foot on the wooden contraption.

As my kids watched on, I took one shaky step toward the gaping darkness. Now, I was breathing faster, wondering if there was an escape hatch somewhere close at hand. There wasn't.

For most of my life, I've been afraid of attics. And for good reason. As a young girl, my step brother had molested me over a span of about three years when I would visit my father for his court-ordered weekends. During one of these visits, my step brother, who was also a sadist, locked me in a dark attic, knowing the light didn't work. I was petrified. I'm still unclear as to how I escaped, as much of that part of my life is blocked out.

What I do know is that the fear stayed with me. My husband of nearly 13 years decided enough was enough. It was time to face the darkness.

So, there I was on shaky knees, creeping my way to the opening. "Now, turn on the light," he gently instructed.

I reached up, and quickly flicked on the light, propping myself on the edge of the attic. "Okay. I did it. I'm coming down," I said.

"Not yet. Look around," he urged. I scanned the room, eyeing the box of desired fall decorations that started this whole adventure. Of course, they were all the way in the far corner. "Do you see the boxes?"

"Yes," I said, shakily, tears starting to come to my eyes. By this time, Dan had also climbed the ladder and was instructing me. "Now, step here and hold on to the beam. You can do it."

And so it went. Little by little, I edged over to the boxes, sliding them toward the opening. Still shaking, but comforted that someone was here with me, I eventually accomplished the goal.

After we had closed up the attic, my husband hugged me. "I'm proud of you," he said. "I know that was hard. But you see? You have nothing to be afraid of any more. This is your home. Your stepbrother doesn't live here. This is the safest place in the world."

Taking a deep breath, I wiped my eyes, knowing he was right. I was safe, in more ways than one.

Today, the world is much like that dark gaping hole that was my attic. It's filled with scary things as long as we stay in the darkness. It's when we turn on the light that is Christ that we can finally overcome and claim victory over the things that persecute us.

33 “I have told you these things, so that in me you may have peace. In this world you will have trouble. But take heart! I have overcome the world.” John 16:33 (www.biblegateway.com)

Even now, as Christians are being targeted worldwide, we have a light that can't be extinguished. I challenge you, my friend and reader, to claim victory through Christ over whatever fear is clutching you. Because He is the safest place in the world.

Comments

  1. I'm so proud of you for conquering your fear. And for Dan making you do it so lovingly! Let your light continue to shine!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Season’s Greetings

I’ve been thinking a lot about seasons lately. You see, I’m a planner. I find great comfort in knowing as best as I can what’s next, how to accomplish it, what steps to take. I do this with everything. I mean ... everything. From my meals to my workouts to my kids’ schedules. Especially my kids schedules. So, when this COVID thing hit, it didn’t just send me for a loop, it sent me into a vortex. Like the eye of a tornado kind of vortex. I love my kids, but I’m no school teacher. In fact, I spend lots of money at the end of each school year on bribes - I mean gifts - to show my deep appreciation for these professionals. So, when I first learned spring break was being extended, I panicked a little. Then two weeks later, school was delayed further until ultimately distance learning became our new normal. Except it wasn’t normal. Far from it. My children, one who suffers from a learning disability, struggled to the finish line. My husband and I jockeyed for space in our small home to fin

Unhappy Endings - Facing Our Own Season Finale

I've never been good at endings. It's something most of my closest friends know about me. And it goes way back. I remember in elementary school, when I finished my last day of sixth grade at the school I'd attended my whole life. Depression hit me like a sack of sadness, and I couldn't move on from the fact that I'd never darken those doors again. Instead, childhood was being shed like a too-tight skin to make way for pre-teendome. And I was not a fan. To this day, I won't watch the series finale when I stream my favorite shows because it's too sad. In my twisted little world, as long as I don't watch Monica, Chandler, Pheobe, Ross, Joey and Rachel walk down that hallway one last time, then they continue on as they always have ... sipping coffee at Central Perk and living their quirky, mid-90s lives. There's comfort in that for me. Even if I know it isn't true. Today, I'm facing one of those endings that I know will hurt like my first

Open Palms: Learning to Hold On Loosely

I can't even tell you how long it's been since I've written in my blog. Months? Years? Probably years. But daily I have messages fly in and through my mind that I think, "I've got to share this with people!" but I never do because I'm usually driving a kid or chasing a kid or yelling at a kid or nagging a kid to pick up something off the floor. You get the picture.  Yet, I'm compelled to get off my rump and finally put this down because, Lord help me, I've been through a lot lately. Not kidding. Full disclosure, we haven't been through as much as some, and I'm not claiming to understand other people's real pain or suffering ... like cancer or the loss of a child. So, please understand I'm living in reality here when I tell you these recent life challenges are probably child's play compared to some people's daily mountains. But for those struggling with climbing over the steep hill called trust in times of change, thi