Skip to main content

I'm Not Complaining

I hate to clean. In fact, I'm very good at complaining about cleaning. Considering I spend a good deal of my time at home, however, I'm expected to do just that - clean. Of course, I exercise my right to mutter my objections to whatever inanimate object happens to be nearby, especially when scraping legos out of the carpet. But today, as I was cleaning my kids' rooms (boys, by the way, are notoriously and consistently messy), I discovered a new emotion related to this ritual: thankfulness.

Just like every mother of school-aged children, I took the Newtown shootings hard. I cry at least once a day from the depths of my belly, aching over the loss these families have faced. The senseless acts of a lunatic has taken 26 beautiful souls from this earth for no reason. It boggles the sensible minds of the rest of us.

So, today, as I was straightening up beds (that should have been made this morning), stooping (for the hundredth time) to pick up clothes strewn on the floor and, yes, prying loose legos from the soles of my feet (again), I was thankful. Thankful that my children returned home yesterday to mess up the rooms I had dutifully cleaned for them that same day; thankful that I have the chance to pick up after them, scrub the jelly off their faces, change their still-warm sheets they just crawled out of and hug their sleepy bodies in the morning.

I bent to pick up my youngest son's teddy bear that was lying forgotten in the middle of his floor. He would want it tonight when he slept. I hugged the teddy bear tight to my chest and teared up, thinking of all the teddy bears left behind by the beautiful children in Newtown and the parents who must, at some point, return them forever to an empty bed.

During my silent prayer before returning teddy to his rightful place on my son's comforter, I prayed for those parents. I prayed for those first responders. And I prayed for the reminder of how precious time with these little angels is.

Now, I'm off to scrape whatever that sticky goo is on my children's bathroom floor (I've learned not to ask too many questions) and then I'll have to get on my hands and knees to scrub their smelly toilet. But, I'm not complaining. Not any more. Not ever again.

www.bcreativetx.com

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Season’s Greetings

I’ve been thinking a lot about seasons lately. You see, I’m a planner. I find great comfort in knowing as best as I can what’s next, how to accomplish it, what steps to take. I do this with everything. I mean ... everything. From my meals to my workouts to my kids’ schedules. Especially my kids schedules. So, when this COVID thing hit, it didn’t just send me for a loop, it sent me into a vortex. Like the eye of a tornado kind of vortex. I love my kids, but I’m no school teacher. In fact, I spend lots of money at the end of each school year on bribes - I mean gifts - to show my deep appreciation for these professionals. So, when I first learned spring break was being extended, I panicked a little. Then two weeks later, school was delayed further until ultimately distance learning became our new normal. Except it wasn’t normal. Far from it. My children, one who suffers from a learning disability, struggled to the finish line. My husband and I jockeyed for space in our small home to fin

Open Palms: Learning to Hold On Loosely

I can't even tell you how long it's been since I've written in my blog. Months? Years? Probably years. But daily I have messages fly in and through my mind that I think, "I've got to share this with people!" but I never do because I'm usually driving a kid or chasing a kid or yelling at a kid or nagging a kid to pick up something off the floor. You get the picture.  Yet, I'm compelled to get off my rump and finally put this down because, Lord help me, I've been through a lot lately. Not kidding. Full disclosure, we haven't been through as much as some, and I'm not claiming to understand other people's real pain or suffering ... like cancer or the loss of a child. So, please understand I'm living in reality here when I tell you these recent life challenges are probably child's play compared to some people's daily mountains. But for those struggling with climbing over the steep hill called trust in times of change, thi

Unhappy Endings - Facing Our Own Season Finale

I've never been good at endings. It's something most of my closest friends know about me. And it goes way back. I remember in elementary school, when I finished my last day of sixth grade at the school I'd attended my whole life. Depression hit me like a sack of sadness, and I couldn't move on from the fact that I'd never darken those doors again. Instead, childhood was being shed like a too-tight skin to make way for pre-teendome. And I was not a fan. To this day, I won't watch the series finale when I stream my favorite shows because it's too sad. In my twisted little world, as long as I don't watch Monica, Chandler, Pheobe, Ross, Joey and Rachel walk down that hallway one last time, then they continue on as they always have ... sipping coffee at Central Perk and living their quirky, mid-90s lives. There's comfort in that for me. Even if I know it isn't true. Today, I'm facing one of those endings that I know will hurt like my first